Anthony Stewart Dias

Events, Reflections, Ideas, Dreams & Aspirations

Monday, January 17, 2005

Today, I revive the old Skater wannabe in me...

After work today, I stopped by a skate shop called "The Station" and bought myself a new skateboard.

I haven't skated in 6 years and the two skateboards I had during Highschool were given to me for free. Since then, I have wanted to get a skateboard but always held back because of the cost of a good quality board. Well, now I'm making a bit more money and I'm also getting fat! So I figured that this should be a good investment. (I weigh 215 and should weigh 185-195.

Back to my story... The Station is located in Fremont and is owned by a very friendly couple who have been in the business some 24 years. The shop seems typical of most skate shops; they had skater clothing towards the front, snowboards in the middle, shoes and skateboards towards the back. I picked out an Element deck, 'clear' grip tape, Independent Trucks, Element wheels and I forget about the bearings. The lady behind the counter promised me that her husband would put my skateboard together in 10 minutes or less.

As the man put my board together, I felt kinda weird because I was still in my security uniform. I mean, it's guys like me who have to enforce NO SKATING rules on certain private and city property. The man was almost done with the board and the lady told me not to worry about my uniform. She talked about a Highway Patrol officer from some other state who had some photo shots taken of him doing a rail slide! The cool thing was that he has been a customer of The Station before and in the picture you can actually see their logo sticker on the bottom of the guy's trucks.

They also told me that lots of guys my age are 'going back' to skating. I was never much good at it before -I was a wannabe before skating was even cool, whatever that means, but skating is a great workout. At least in my opinion. And now, after having gone on my first ride, my lower back agrees with that assesment.

Hopefully I won't break my neck trying to do tricks but what's life without taking a few risks, eh?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    heheh, id like to see you skating again, tony. anyways, when i do, ill laugh.
    by the way, i got Napoleon Dynomite, and laughed my head off watching it.

    -the coolest chomachi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home