Anthony Stewart Dias

Events, Reflections, Ideas, Dreams & Aspirations

Monday, June 07, 2004

Week 1 in Morocco

So, here I am, in the Library at George Washington Academy, typing away on a slow internet connection but enjoying my vacation none the less.

Monday morning after a nasty stay in a New York Hotel, I took off to central park in Manhattan. This was a much nicer view of New York. I went around, toting my luggage and my guitar. Stopping to play here and there. I made ten dollars and change just by playing. The most money was made when I sat down next to a crowd of Italian ladies, mostly in their 40's and 50's and full of life (if you know what I mean). They really liked my guitar playing and singing. Soon after, it started raining and my show was cancelled :)

Oh well, I needed to go to the airport anyway.

That evening, I flew from New York to Casablanca and arrived here around 6:30 AM on Tuesday. My parents picked me up at the airport. We drove home where I briefly saw Jeremiah and Omayra(they had to go to school). A few hours later I visited the school. George Washington Academy. It was nice to see students and teachers that I know from years past. The children are so beautiful here.

Wednesday, I was promoted to Senior status and I accompanied(drove) the Seniors(all 4 of them) to the beach for Senior 'cut' day. It did seem strange that the Principal's oldest son would help the seniors skip class, but even when I was a Senior back in '98, my dad let me go to the beach with my friends. My excuse the next day was exactly that and the secretary said. "well, at least you're telling the truth!".

I drove Omayra, Sarah, Jordan and Nadir in my mom's van. We arrived a a nice beach where there weren't any people except for this one man who was fishing. There, I tried surfing for the first time in my life. Jordan (an avid surfer) brought along his surf-board and a long-board. I saw him ride a few waves pretty nicely. Nadir also went out using the long-board, trying his best to stand up. Finally, after about 45 minutes, he came in and asked if I wanted to try -I did!

The waves were choppy, coming in from different directions and although they didn't look big from shore, they sure felt huge once I was among them. In the 5 or so minutes that I floating around, I felt like I was doing more drowning than anything. So I came back to shore. That was at a beach in Bouznika.

We decided to go to another beach in a town called Mohammedia. There we ate lunch, and soon after I found myself trying to build a sand castle. I guess that was inevitable. The sand didn't hold to well, but it was good enough for me to try and build something. Not too long afterwards and I was in an argument with about 20 Moroccans who were trying to play soccer and thought that I was in their way. I didn't understand since I had been there first but I thought about it and told them that if they knocked down my sand-castle by accident, I wouldn't be mad. Anyway, the waves might come and do the same thing. I said in Arabic, "Makein moushkil" -no problem.

Then I decided to draw, and this girl who was about 11 years old, was coming around asking for money. I tried to explain to her in French and broken Arabic that I wasn't going to give her any money. But I told her if she wanted, I would sing songs for her and play guitar. She agreed and I played a bit. Then I showed her some of my drawings. Immediately she said "ateinee" (give-me).

To which I responded, "La, sme-helia" (no, sorry)

But then I asked her name. Fatima, she told me.

I began to draw her name out with my markers and she got excited. Before I finished writing her name there were another 5 kids sitting around me waiting for their name to be 'tagged' up. I suppose that these kids weren't used to getting anything other than a dirty look or a few Dirhams(Morocco's monetary unit). I was glad to give them something new. I ended up drawing 8 names total. By then, the Seniors were ready to go and I had to say good-bye.

There were two other guitarists there who had gathered around while I was drawing, as I left I heard one of them playing La Bamba. I had shown him the chords and gave him some tips on the strumming.

It was a cool day, overall. I enjoyed hanging with the Seniors.

Thursday and Friday weren't too exciting except for the GWA Soccer Match between the high school girls and Female Staff (the girls won 5 - 0).

Saturday we went to see the new property that belongs to the school. I took some pictures which I'll post up later. There has been a nice amount of progress since I was here a year ago.

Sunday, I was sick, probably with the Flu. (I'm still feeling it a bit). I think Jeremiah got me sick, that little booger! Just kidding.

Anyway, that's a short summary of my weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home